Jennavier

Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen

Game Changer

The Always War - Margaret Peterson Haddix My feelings are pretty mixed on this one. I love this author and I was so excited to read this book. Maybe I had too high of expectations.
The story is told through the eyes of Tess, who starts off trying to help a childhood friend to not kill himself in a fit of battle induced guilt. That leads her to discover that the generations long war her society has been mixed up in is chalk full of lies.
One of the big things I love about Haddox is how her stories tackle big issues. Tessa has to face a lot of hard truths that most people don't want to deal with. She's smart and brave without sacrificing a certain gentleness that's really unusual for a heroine of a dystopian novel.
Where it lost stars for me was how preachy everything was. I don't mind moral questions in stories, I actually prefer them, but I don't want to be bludgeoned over them. The fact that human beings are just itching for war might be true, but I only need you to spell it out for me once. Maybe twice:)