Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
The Space Between Us - Thrity Umrigar I feel unable to give The Space Between Us an honest starred review, so I'm going to abstain. While it's possibly one of the best books of it's year, if not the decade, it defeated me. The Space Between Us tells the story of two late middle aged woman connected by a lifetime in modern India. Both have finally come to some semblance of balance after decades of suffering. Seeing their hopes and dreams as young woman in memory is heartbreaking. Now a bitter revelation is coming that will break their peace wide open. The narrative follows them as they attempt to rise to the challenges facing them and proving that while money is important, it sometimes hurts as much as it helps.
What made me finally skim to the ending was probably one of The Space Between Us biggest strengths. I became so engrossed in their story and so empathetic of their struggles that my heart bled for Bhima, Sara, Mara, and the others. These woman are victimized over and over again by a culture that makes happiness a matter of luck rather then choice. By the time it got to Bhima's husband losing part of his hand and starting the spiraling descent that led to Bhima's abandonment in squalor I just couldn't do it anymore.
So here I am telling you it's awesome, but telling you I couldn't finish it. Take anything I say with a grain of salt and read the first chapter. You'll know by the end of it if this is a book for you.