Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
Ice - Sarah Beth Durst My first introduction to the story of the Polar Bear King and his bride was the 90's Polar Bear Prince, a bizarre movie that anyone over the age of eight suffers through in increasing confusion. Being under eight when I first saw it I thought it was fabulous. Now as an adult I have version of this tale to love. Ice features Cassie, a girl raised in the North Pole and told legends from when she was a child. Discovering that the only way to save the mother she never knew is by swearing to marry the Polar Bear King (Bear for short) she goes ahead with the promise, never intending to keep it. Fate surprises her and she falls in love with him. When he's taken from her she crosses the earth to bring him back.
Cassie is fun and smart with a little bit of an attitude. The scientific world of the arctic was familiar to me. As a National Park brat I'm well aware of the obsession for conservation. The mythology was interesting. The only thing that was strange was Cassie being pregnant. I know that it's part of the traditional myth, but as a YA it felt weird.