Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
Dark Currents: Agent of Hel - Jacqueline Carey 3.5 stars. I was really excited when I heard that Jacquiline Carey was writing a new series, and even more excited when I heard it was urban fantasy. I started reading her Kushiel series as a teenager and was instantly engrossed. The problem was the basis of her world- sex, sex and more sex- and I just wasn't really comfortable with it. I was hoping that I would finally get to enjoy Carey's talents.
In the beginning I was nowhere near as impressed as I wanted to be. All the UF requirements were there- funny heroine, wacky characters, cute crushes- but it all just felt very forced. It wasn't until about a hundred pages in that Carey really hit her groove. The humor became understated and the world became magical. By the end I was engrossed and in love. I hope that in her next book she continues to let go of tradition and create a story and style that is uniquely her own.