Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
Stormdancer - Jay Kristoff What to say? I can't even give Stormdancer a rating. Were it was good it blew past the five star system and started claiming impossible six and seventh stars. Where it was bad it fazed into indifference, a very scary place for a book to be fore me.
The amazing: Just about everything past the first hundred pages. I loved, loved, loved Yokiko. She was so different from the normal YA heroine in a very good way. The way she reacted to things turns the genre trope on it's head and I ate it up. Buruu, the griffin/sky tiger was sweet and I loved the way his relationship with Yokiko changes. Lastly I liked how the larger cast was so flawed, and yet so special. Way to be Mr. Kristoff. Mostly there is just this incredible epicness that sweeps you up and sucks you in. I'm not even sure it's really YA. It feels like the best in adult fantasy with a teenage heroine.
The head scratchers: The first 100 pages! I appreciate that the world is complex but wow, a 100 pages of set up. Shoot me now. Plus there are some Messages, you know, that kind. Then there's the Big Myth that rubbed me the wrong way.
So yeah. It's both brilliant and incredibly flawed. You should check it out and see for yourself.