Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
The Breakaway - Michelle D. Argyle I don't normally read kidnap stories but after reading the autobiography of Patty Hearst I was interested in seeing how fictional authors handled the scenario. Already being a fan of Michelle Davidson Argyle made my choice really easy. I'm so glad I participated in a giveaway by Rhemelda publishing so I could try out The Breakaway. I was planning on being all cool about it, talking about how free stuff couldn't influence my review. Yeah, well, I loved The Breakaway. It grabbed from the beginning and I finished it one sitting.
I'm not going to lie, I had a really hard time with the subject matter. How manipulative her captors are is cold. Naomi is so starved for love that she falls easily into their hands. There were times when I wanted to smack her for not fighting harder. In the end I'm glad that she was shown as having such human weaknesses. We all want to believe we're incredibly strong in bad scenarios but Argyle writes a convincing heroine who struggles with the very real psychological damage left behind by something so difficult. I felt like everything was handled with sensitivity.
Anyway, it's late and I'm rambling. The point it, I loved the book and I can't wait to read the next one!