Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
The Trouble With Fate - Leigh Evans I've been getting distracted from books a lot. When I say a lot, I mean to the point of embarrassment where I almost think that I can't actually read like a normal person anymore at all. Finishing books has been an almost painful ordeal. Part of that is because I'm having to make my way through the dregs of my piles. You know, the books that you think just might interest you but your not sure will? That's them.
So that's where The Trouble With Fate landed. I had it sticking on top of a pile that included a first novel that I'd clawed for but turned out to be really long and a final novel in a trilogy that's turned into a train wreck. There it might have stayed, except that finally feeling comfortable in my own mind I carved out a few hours and returned to my favorite past time.
Hedi is a jerk. She's manipulative, lying, and immature. She's also very, very real and her love and hope is heart breaking. She makes so many mistakes that you can't help hoping that this time it will work out. I really enjoyed this book for how the characters were so organic and integral to the plot. Nothing felt forced. There was time for a lot of things. The love story in particular wasn't a case of instant lust. It was two people who had a lot of scars trying to learn how to love each other. I've become really starved for actual love in a story instead of lust. Usually when the main character has a strong voice the side characters are left to moulder. This was not the case with Trouble, where even the medallion side kick who communicates in boob grabs has a definite personality. The sex scenes, especially the first one, were amazingly awkward and I could have done without.It gets a little flabby at the very end and started to lose me. Luckily for me I was already so invested I kept on anyway. I'm definitely looking out for the next one!