Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
Mothership - Martin Leicht, Isla Neal I went back and forth a lot over the star rating on this one. The end was great enough to justify bumping it up:)
From it's purple cover to it's wacky premise Mothership sucked me in. Who doesn't want to read about a smart-mouthed teenage girl in space? Like all first impressions, the ideas I had about what Mothership would be was almost always wrong. It was better then I'd expected in the plot development. Most humorous books really struggle but Mothership stayed strong and tightly written. I also really liked the romance. I know why it wouldn't work for a lot of readers but for me it hit the right spots. The humor, which I have strangely left until last, was superb! Elvie had a hysterical voice and most of the characters matched her in fabulous eccentricity. I can't wait to see what new reactions the next book brings.
Where Mothership struggled were in things I hadn't really expected. In the beginning the authors were working so hard to be funny that I couldn't get a feel for the stakes involved. That made it hard to get invested in where the story was going. When there was the traditional space battle violence going on I really struggled with having some of the "good" guys die. I know, I know, that sounds really bad. It's just really upsetting to think about pregnant teenage girls dying, especially since most of them were days from giving birth. That's not going to bug most people but it really got under my skin.
I would still absolutely recommend Mothership to my friends with the caveat that it's not for everyone.