Jennavier

Erik Larson
Healing Trauma
Peter A. Levine
Tess Gerritsen
Lux Omnibus Volume 1 - Jalex Hansen Before I start I would like to thank the author for a copy of Lux Omnibus 1 in exchange for an honest review.
I have a lot of thoughts about Lux. I made it as far as the end of the first episode- a little tragic since I could have gotten that for free online. Here's a basic breakdown of things I liked, things I didn't, and the things that made me stop reading.
Loved: Hansen has a really great feel for her characters. The first two chapters about Hikari and Connor were so strong. They're personalities felt like someone I could actually know instead of a viewpoint. There were things that were likeable, things that weren't, and more. She also does scenes really, really well. The visuals that her descriptions evoked were just perfect.
Didn't like: How MANY characters their were. There are three main viewpoint characters in the first segment and a dozen or more supporting characters. That's in a roughly hundred page novella. Because Hansen did such a good job of characterizing them I could tell them apart. However the brain space that it took to do that kept me from ever really sinking into the story. So yeah. Then there's the plot. It really was a hot mess. It's a vague mutant-teenagers meets new age zen sort of thing. I felt like everything from the 90's-00's were thrown in, plus the kitchen sink. This lack of concreteness left me pretty puzzled when Hansen "uped" the tension with action scenes. I use irony quotes (that is now a thing according to me)because it's really hard to be invested in action based on a plot I'm confused by. It also diluted the power of her phenomenal scenes because there wasn't a strong plot to really tie them together.
What made me stop reading: When it comes to actual writing mechanics Hansen tried a lot of things that aren't the norm in mainstream YA publishing. The largest of these was a semi-omnipotent POV. A few others are the way she described events, the feel of the brain spaces that she was writing in, that sort of thing. I'm sorry if that didn't make sense but it's something that's hard to describe. At first I was delighted with the information I got this way but the novelty soon paled. Although I picked up what Halex wanted me to know much faster in the end it distanced me from her characters and her world. A lot of things that didn't make sense were "told" to me as a reader that I had to accept faith. When those things were contradictory to the internal world of the story or my own experience there was no way for me to understand why they had to be that way. I didn't watch the characters come to most of their conclusions, I was told about them. So if I was only told where do I mentally go back to when I'm confused about something? Nowhere. I'm sure I'm not explaining it right but this was the major issue that cause me to put down Lux for good.